wfn not notifying

Mar 22 at 7:25 PM
once again a program won't install, in this case a flash update. says it can't connect. I suspect it is firewall blocking it, and wfn not notifying so that I can give permission. I tried making a firewall rule connected to the flash install.exe but that didn't help. I don't know if that is the program name that is trying for connection.

I tried notifier test. it works.

Is there a way to fix this ongoing issue?
Mar 22 at 10:08 PM
let me add this info: attempting in install flash update> failed because no connection (and no notification) .

I turn off wfn notifying about outgoing and flash updates fine.
I then turn on wfn notifying about outgoing and try flash again. this time wfn notifies about attempted outgoing.

I have seen this happen before . somehow wfn loses the notification settings. like it slips into blocking silently (or something like that)
Mar 30 at 10:03 PM
I guess that I am at the end of line with WFN. Once again Wfn is not notifiying of programs trying to access internet (hence they fail). In fact, I can't even get WFN to open.

I am looking for another Firewall option.

What do I have to do to remove WFN from my system? I can't get it to open.
Mar 30 at 10:29 PM
btw: I did look at wfn log. this is the latest lines. I don't know how to interpret them.

2017/03/30 17:11:25 - SYSTEM [False] - [INIT] OS: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.14393.0 (64 bit) / .Net CLR: 4.0.30319.42000 / Path: C:\Users\new admin\Desktop\Windows firewall notifier folder\ / Version: 2.0.6280.24564 (32 bit)
2017/03/30 17:11:25 - SYSTEM [False] - [INIT] OS: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.14393.0 (64 bit) / .Net CLR: 4.0.30319.42000 / Path: C:\Users\new admin\Desktop\Windows firewall notifier folder\ / Version: 2.0.6280.24564 (32 bit)
2017/03/30 17:11:26 - new admin [False] - [WARNING] Error while loading user settings:
2017/03/30 17:11:26 - new admin [False] - [WARNING] System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Section or group name 'Wokhan.WindowsFirewallNotifier.Configuration' is already defined. Updates to this may only occur at the configuration level where it is defined. (C:\Users\new admin\AppData\Local\Wokhan Solutions\WFN\user.config line 5)
2017/03/30 17:11:26 - new admin [False] - [WARNING] Error while loading user settings:
2017/03/30 17:11:26 - new admin [False] - [WARNING] System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Section or group name 'Wokhan.WindowsFirewallNotifier.Configuration' is already defined. Updates to this may only occur at the configuration level where it is defined. (C:\Users\new admin\AppData\Local\Wokhan Solutions\WFN\user.config line 5)
2017/03/30 17:11:27 - new admin [False] - [WARNING] System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Section or group name 'Wokhan.WindowsFirewallNotifier.Configuration' is already defined. Updates to this may only occur at the configuration level where it is defined. (C:\Users\new admin\AppData\Local\Wokhan Solutions\WFN\user.config line 5)
Mar 31 at 1:24 AM
renamed both the wfn folders in local and roaming. i tried to delete all the files in the wfn desktop folder. all deleted except notifier.exe and wokhans...... dll. couldn't delete because in use. sure were. multiple, multiple, constantly changing numbers of the wohans.... file in task manager. rebooted to stop them. they came back on boot. I tried changing name of notifier.exe, which shouldn't work because file was "in use". for some reason, eventually it changed. and all the tasks stopped. I unzipped files back into wfn folder. now it opens and continually gives notification of one program updating wanting permission, over and over and over. same settings. a program that as far as I can see isn't updating at all.

problem after problem with wfn.
Developer
Mar 31 at 5:10 AM
astro46 wrote:
once again a program won't install, in this case a flash update. says it can't connect. I suspect it is firewall blocking it, and wfn not notifying so that I can give permission. I tried making a firewall rule connected to the flash install.exe but that didn't help. I don't know if that is the program name that is trying for connection.
The installer is probably extracting files to a temporary folder, and running from there, so making a rule for the downloaded .exe won't work. Is this the Adobe Flash web installer? I'll try that myself, to see why WFN isn't handling it correctly.

astro46 wrote:
somehow wfn loses the notification settings. like it slips into blocking silently (or something like that)
This setting is not stored by WFN, but by Windows. If it's magically changing, you need to run an anti-malware scan. Rather, I think WFN is not parsing the firewall rules correctly and is incorrectly coming to the conclusion that there's a rule for the Flash installer. I assume you're running V2.0 Alpha 12?

astro46 wrote:
This is probably caused by the changes in the configuration files with Alpha 11 and Alpha 12. Try deleting:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Wokhan Solutions\WFN\user.config
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Wokhan Solutions\WFN\user.config

astro46 wrote:
What do I have to do to remove WFN from my system? I can't get it to open.
Step one is running the DisableWFN.cmd with administrator rights. This will disable WFN's hook into the Windows Firewall, so no new Notifier's are started.

astro46 wrote:
now it opens and continually gives notification of one program updating wanting permission, over and over and over. same settings. a program that as far as I can see isn't updating at all.
Good, you've found the program that is overwhelming WFN. This program is most definitely accessing the internet, and does this so often that WFN can't keep up. Hence WFN doesn't pop-up, because it's still busy trying to process all the connection attempts. Can you tell me which program this is? I assume you tried creating an allow- or block-rule for it, but that didn't work?

astro46 wrote:
problem after problem with wfn.
V2.0 is still Alpha for a reason. ;) Also, since WFN isn't a full-fletched firewall, it has limitations, and programs misbehaving like this is one situation WFN will never be able to handle gracefully, I'm afraid.