This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

No notifications in WFN 2A9

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:03 PM
I've got WFN running, and it has prompted me for a few things. But for services like Chrome and Steam, I get no notification at all, and their Internet connections are outright blocked.

I can fix Chrome easily by manually creating a rule, but I'd rather keep as much in WFN as possible. It's also a bit tricky trying to identify what Steam wants, without seeing the notifications.

After first enabling it, I got a few notifications, but nothing since. I'm not sure what else is being blocked, as nothing appears to be showing up in the firewall log (C:\windows\system32\LogFiles\Firewall\pfirewall.log, as per the Windows firewall settings). Connections are being actively blocked, and if I change the egress policy in WFN from "Block and prompt" to "Allow", things (i.e. Steam) start working again.

How do I go about troubleshooting why I'm not receiving notifications? Or is this still an ongoing problem with the alpha builds?
Dec 4, 2016 at 6:55 PM
There were problems like this in several older Alpha builds, but they are supposed to be fixed. Try running Notifier.exe manually, to see if the popup still works.

Can you also check the Wokhan.WindowsFirewallNotifier.Common.log file, to see if there's any mentions of a "Exception" in there, and check the timestamps to see if the Notifier recently was called.
Feb 17 at 7:57 PM
I am having the same problem on one computer. new programs trying to access internet, blocked, no notification from wfn. "click here to test" gets a notification. I have entered some .exe manually in firewall to get around this, but this isn't what is supposed to happen. notifier settings are all turned on.

I tried the files from working computer, but didn't help.
any idea why wfn has stopped producing notifications?

the info page shows wfn alpha 2.0.6210.32868. win10 pro
Feb 17 at 8:04 PM
I've recently discovered that there's a horrible, horrible bug deep inside the core functionality of WFN... Effectively, it causes WFN to ignore certain parts of rules, such as whether the rule should only apply to a Store App. This can cause the Notifier to think that those App rules are blocking/allowing packets from non-App applications, and thus not to pop up when it should.

This will require some time and effort to fix. So I'll probably be doing a new Alpha-release this weekend to get some other fixes that are already lined up released (like the config file not working properly). I'll start working on this App-rule-bug immediately afterwards.
Feb 18 at 10:46 AM
DanielPharos wrote:
This will require some time and effort to fix. So I'll probably be doing a new Alpha-release this weekend to get some other fixes that are already lined up released (like the config file not working properly). I'll start working on this App-rule-bug immediately afterwards.
(FYI: I just did the Alpha 11 release. I'll next be working on getting the previously mentioned App-rule problem fixed!)
Apr 18 at 5:19 AM
@DanielPharos: I completely neglected to respond earlier; sorry!

Thanks for looking into this. I can see you're already making some headway in Alpha 12; I haven't tried this release yet, but I'll give it a shot in the near future.
Apr 19 at 6:06 PM
mutemule wrote:
Thanks for looking into this. I can see you're already making some headway in Alpha 12; I haven't tried this release yet, but I'll give it a shot in the near future.
The App-rule handling isn't in Alpha 12 yet, but I'm getting closer and closer to having it finally work! :)
May 20 at 10:12 AM
I've just release a new version of WFN, which includes App-rule handling! https://wfn.codeplex.com/releases/view/631360