This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

services selection not working

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:02 AM
I have been getting notification for "Host Process in windows services", when I press "allow" a window pops up asking about 'services selection" . I leave all checked. click OK . Nothing happens. click allow at the "host process" notification. again nothing happens. both windows remain on screen.

I can cancel the 'services selection' window, but when i hit ok on 'host process ' window, the selection window returns. 'skip' will close both windows. but eventually I get notified again.

whats the cure?
Editor
Oct 17, 2016 at 3:57 AM
Edited Oct 17, 2016 at 3:57 AM
In alpha 8, there was some fixes to the service selection, but I do not know if Daniel got it fully working. I am sure he will come around on getting this fully working in a future update. Remember, WFN is still in alpha phase.
Oct 17, 2016 at 4:31 AM
Is there a work around? seems like I can't allow, or block, only skip. so i keep seeing the same notification over and over.
Editor
Oct 17, 2016 at 4:34 PM
Where do you have WFN installed to? Trying putting WFN on the desktop and see if that helps. Currently, WFN doesn't seem to work well when installed to program files.
Oct 17, 2016 at 6:35 PM
one thing that I figured out, when notification appears, is to click on details, then turn off the slider referencing windows services. then I can "allow" the specific notification.

Not clear about what you mean "putting WFN on the desktop". the program doesn't install, as far as I know. I have a shortcut to wfn.exe on the desktop. do you want me to put the whole wfn folder on desktop? move a copy of wfn.exe to desktop? other?
Editor
Oct 19, 2016 at 12:11 AM
I mean is, put the WFN folder on the desktop and let it run from there. Normally a good idea is to put it in the Program Files, but alpha 8 is currently not working right when moved to a folder that requires admin rights to access. So you will need to put WFN on your desktop or some other place where there are no privileged restrictions.

Please read our documentation for more information on this here: https://wfn.codeplex.com/documentation
Oct 20, 2016 at 10:23 PM
that's easy enough. I'll move the folder to desktop. thanks for the help.
Developer
Oct 23, 2016 at 4:14 PM
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
In alpha 8, there was some fixes to the service selection, but I do not know if Daniel got it fully working. I am sure he will come around on getting this fully working in a future update. Remember, WFN is still in alpha phase.
Indeed, this window is currently completely broken: getting it to show up was one of the last things I was able to fix before releasing Alpha 8. The code to handle any of the button presses is simply not written at the moment. Fixing this is quite high on the ToDo-list, and I hope to get it into the next release.
Developer
Oct 29, 2016 at 4:33 PM
New release out, which should make the Services selection window functional! Can you please try the new V2.0 Alpha 9 release, and report back if you're still having issues?
Editor
Oct 30, 2016 at 3:40 AM
Edited Oct 30, 2016 at 3:41 AM
The service selection is working for me. Only a minor issue is that I have to double click on check boxes instead of single click for each service I want/don't want allowed. Nothing serious but it is "mouse click inefficient".

Oh and if I enable the service selection, I need to restart my PC for it to work. I don't know if that is intend, but if it is, you might want to indicate in the settings that a PC restart is required after enabling it.
Developer
Oct 30, 2016 at 10:17 AM
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
The service selection is working for me. Only a minor issue is that I have to double click on check boxes instead of single click for each service I want/don't want allowed. Nothing serious but it is "mouse click inefficient".
Yes, I noticed that too, and haven't had time yet to fix that. The first click is needed to select the row.
Oh and if I enable the service selection, I need to restart my PC for it to work. I don't know if that is intend, but if it is, you might want to indicate in the settings that a PC restart is required after enabling it.
I'll check that out; I have to rework the settings/configuration storage anyway.
Nov 15, 2016 at 10:23 PM
I haven't had a request for 'services selection' in a while. If I do, I'll check it out.
Nov 24, 2016 at 3:57 AM
I received notification about win10 host process, with the pop up window asking about several services. I clicked ok on the pop up window and it and the notification went away. I didn't have to go back to notification to click "allow".

shall I presume that this means it is working ok?
Developer
Dec 4, 2016 at 5:52 PM
Yep, that's the way it's currently working.