WFN 2a8, not notifying

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:26 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2016 at 10:27 PM
I am a new user. on win10. I found the ver 2.0 interface hard to understand, plus several times when it notified me about multiple services clicking 'allow' got no response, and, since the article that told me about wfn referenced ver1.9, I removed ver 2 and installed 1.9.

WFN settings show it as 'enabled'. Options>click here to test> gets me a notifications window. I have looked at task scheduler>windows but see nothing referencing 'firewall'.

Ver 1.9 seemed to work fine for a while, then I noticed that notifications were no longer appearing. I had to go into firewall to manually create rules for programs that were failing to access internet. after reading a post on the discussion group, i tried ver 2a8 again. Still no notifications.
The only thing I can think of that I installed recently is W10Privacy, a program to disable various win19 privacy functions. I have tried turning numerous ones back on to see if made any difference, but no go.
Is there some settings or services that I can check that may be disabling WFN notification?
Oct 2, 2016 at 8:07 PM
I unchecked everything in W10privacy, after which wfn started notifying. apparently that was the problem. It would be good to know what function being disabled caused the problem.

any hints?
Editor
Oct 3, 2016 at 2:11 AM
It is best to go through each checkbox one at a time until you find yourself what caused it. I don't think anyone here uses W10privacy.
Oct 3, 2016 at 3:16 AM
I was afraid someone would suggest this. ;-) . I am just about to start this process. I was hoping someone would have a general idea of what sort of setting change would have done it, as I had already reversed all the likely (to me) prospects with no result. apparently it is something more benign sounding.

I'll just start enacting a few at a time.
Developer
Oct 29, 2016 at 4:36 PM
astro46 wrote:
I am a new user. on win10. I found the ver 2.0 interface hard to understand, plus several times when it notified me about multiple services clicking 'allow' got no response, and, since the article that told me about wfn referenced ver1.9, I removed ver 2 and installed 1.9.
The "multiple services" issue was fixed in V2.0 Alpha 9, so maybe you can try that.

Did you figure out what option in W10privacy caused the problem?
Nov 15, 2016 at 10:20 PM
I have alpha 9 installed. I haven't had a request for approving multiple services for some time. If/when I do, I'll see how it works.

No I couldn't figure out which Win10privacy option may have caused the problem. I went through resetting them, a few at a time, till all were reset. then then wfn worked. I am wondering if, when setting the firewall settings to 'block and prompt' I neglected to 'apply' before exiting. if that was the case, then a popup asking if I want to save changed settings would have helped.

iac, wfn seems to have been working since.

thanks for asking.
Developer
Nov 16, 2016 at 4:02 PM
Glad you got it working!

astro46 wrote:
if that was the case, then a popup asking if I want to save changed settings would have helped.
That's a good feature request; I'll put it on the list!