This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Fatal Error

Aug 30, 2016 at 5:28 PM
Edited Aug 31, 2016 at 1:51 PM
First off...my compliments on a great idea! Keep up the work! This notification thing with Windows Firewall have been a pet peeve of mine for years.
On attempting installation of Vs2.0 Alpha I get the following 2 error messages:
Method not found: 'Int32 System Runtime.InteropService.Marshal.SizeOf(!!0)'.
type initializer for Wokhan.WindowsFirewallNotifier.Common.Helpers.LogHelper' threw an exception.
System: Windows 7 Ultimate/64; Windows Firewall is turned on
CPU: AMD/quad 64bit 2.5GHz
RAM: 4 gig
BROWSER: Firefox, several privacy add-ons
System running perfectly, no crashes, BSODs or hangs.
I can see the GUI screen, but the error messages are posted in front.
I downloaded twice to check for a bad download
I attempted install in Program Files and Program Files x86

If you need more info please contact me.
Thanks..
[EDIT]: I just searched and found the same problem someone had in the ISSUES tab; the OP solved it by running the .exe as Administrator. I tried that with the same result. I can see the GUI but can't access it (the error messages are in front) and it's unresponsive. I feel like a little kid and someone is holding some candy just out of reach. :)
Developer
Sep 3, 2016 at 9:28 AM
Hmm, that shouldn't be happening, obviously. I'll look into it. Just a quick question for now: what version of the .NET framework do you have installed?
Sep 3, 2016 at 8:09 PM
Hey Daniel, thanks for the reply. I have 4.0 as the latest. There is also a Framework 64 which is 4.0.30319. Incidentally, I also tried installing it in Safe Mode, but that didn't work either.
Editor
Sep 3, 2016 at 8:17 PM
Since WFN Alpha 6, you need to have .NET 4.5.2 installed and future versions may require 4.6 (he talked about it but I don't know if he is going to do it).
Developer
Sep 3, 2016 at 8:49 PM
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
Since WFN Alpha 6, you need to have .NET 4.5.2 installed...
Exactly; I'm quite confident that if you install .NET 4.5.2 (or higher), this error will go away.

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
...and future versions may require 4.6 (he talked about it but I don't know if he is going to do it).
Now that you bring it up: I was planning on releasing two editions: one for .NET 4.5.1 (yes, dot one) for backwards compatibility, and one with latest greatest. And on top of that separate 32 and 64 bit versions. (But this is not the right thread to discuss this. :P )
Editor
Sep 3, 2016 at 8:58 PM
DanielPharos wrote:
And on top of that separate 32 and 64 bit versions. (But this is not the right thread to discuss this. :P )
Well since you brought it up already here, does this mean WFN will have native 64-bit support?
Developer
Sep 3, 2016 at 9:28 PM
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
Well since you brought it up already here, does this mean WFN will have native 64-bit support?
I've been running it 64 bit for months now, so yes. :)
Sep 5, 2016 at 7:39 PM
Thanks guys, actually your suggestion was correct. My problem now is with my system, not WFN. I tried 5 times to download & install the .net4.5 as well as 4.3 and it simply will not install. Goes through all the motions and seems to complete successfully, but when I check it in Explore it only registers 4.0, When I attempt run the 4.5 installer again, it notifies that 4.5 is already installed. So....I do a "repair" through the installer and I can install it again. Once it crashed my Windows 7 Ultimate so bad I had to do a restore through cmd. then I was back up and running. I finally got WFN to run, but I could tell that it wasn't running properly, and finally it errored out on me (again).
This is my problem, not WFN. Until I can discover why updated .net will not install I am hung.
I will be back when I get this resolved.
Thanks for all the prompt help, guys, keep up the good work.