This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

WFN not working

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:29 PM
Hi,

I have Windows 7 Professional x64 (fresh install, full updated) and standard user account. I try to use WFN 1.x, 2.0 - nothing works... WNF 2.0 unzipped to c:/, run as administrator - console shows but no minimize to tray, no popups... WFN 1.x works great on admin account but not working on standard user account.

Help please...
Editor
Mar 16, 2016 at 10:02 PM
Try putting WFN in Program Files and see if it works fine then.

Currently, in 2.0, the "Block and Prompt" feature is not working properly, but our development team is working on fixing it, hopefully, soon they will have a patch for it to work.

I believe, in order for WFN to fully function, it needs to be run as a administrator.
Mar 16, 2016 at 10:18 PM
I tried and still nothing... :/
Developer
Mar 21, 2016 at 6:20 PM
Can you post the log-file (filename starts with Wokhan.WindowsFirewallNotifier.Common, file extension: .log)? (from v2.0 Alpha 5, please)
Aug 20, 2016 at 3:45 PM
Edited Aug 20, 2016 at 3:52 PM
Hello,

I am having the same problem.
I downloaded and unziped the files in a folder in Program Files.
When I run the WFN.exe as administrator, the window opens properly, everything seems to work. However, when I try lauching an app that requires access to the internet (let's say filehippo app manager for example), nothing happens and the software cannot access internet. There are no notification at all...
What can I do ? (I dowloaded the latest version by the way : 2.0 Alpha 7 released on Thu Aug 11, 2016 at 9:00 AM)
I have Windows 7, 32 bits
Thank you !

EDIT : I just tried the 1.8.0 version of november 2011 and it seems to work properly with that one. Should I just stick to this version, or are they any safety problems having this older version ?
Thanks
Developer
Aug 20, 2016 at 5:47 PM
There's no safety problems to my knowledge, but there's also no support for it anymore.

I'd like to track down why V2.0 Alpha 7 doesn't work for you though, so I can fix the problem. Are you interested in helping out by running some tests?

If yes, can you open WFN.config and change the <value>False</value> to <value>True</value> right under the line with <setting name="EnableVerboseLogging" serializeAs="String">, and try to trigger the notification again? Then also run Notifier.exe directly, to see if it pops up that way. When done, please send me a copy of the "Wokhan.WindowsFirewallNotifier.Common.log" file, and I'll see if I can figure out why it's not showing up.
Aug 20, 2016 at 6:17 PM
Edited Aug 20, 2016 at 6:19 PM
Is it not a problem that I already have the older version active while doing these tests ?

By the way, I wanted to ask something else : since I launched the console.exe of the older version, it works even though I can't see any reference to it in the task manager (no console.exe). Is this normal ? How can I stop the notifier if I need to ?

Thank you !

EDIT : about the V2.0 Alpha 7, the notification appeared when I launched Notifier.exe, but only for Notifier.exe (not for other programs)
Developer
Aug 20, 2016 at 6:36 PM
Cley wrote:
Is it not a problem that I already have the older version active while doing these tests ?
It probably won't work correctly, so just to be safe I'm going with "yes, that would be a problem".

Cley wrote:
By the way, I wanted to ask something else : since I launched the console.exe of the older version, it works even though I can't see any reference to it in the task manager (no console.exe). Is this normal ? How can I stop the notifier if I need to ?
WFN registers itself through the Windows Task Scheduler, so console.exe doesn't need to be active for the notifier to work.
There should be a "DisableWFN.cmd" script in the WFN-directory that you can use to "uninstall" WFN, so the Notifier doesn't show up anymore. (There's currently no "silent" mode as far as I know; that's actually a good feature to have. Adding it to my ToDo-list!)

Cley wrote:
EDIT : about the V2.0 Alpha 7, the notification appeared when I launched Notifier.exe, but only for Notifier.exe (not for other programs)
Okay, so it's with the "firewall blocks something"->"Notifier should be called" step, not the Notifier.exe itself. That helps me narrow it down, thanks!
Aug 20, 2016 at 11:14 PM
Perfect ! Thank you very much for the help and for the good work !