outgoing connection

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM
WindowsFirewallNotifier
local port:56252
Service N/D
Target port:53
Target:my modem base address
Why you block your own program to do this and what does it mean?. Why does the progran goes to the base address?
regards
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2014 at 8:50 PM
Hi,

Sorry for the delay :-)
Windows Firewall Notifier is meant to show users what is actually going on with their connections. I did not like the idea to automatically allow WFN itself to access the Internet without the users consent for this exact same reason.
Regarding the target address and port, I guess it happens when WFN tries to deal with DNS resolution (i.e. resolving an IP to a machine name, or the other way around). It should do that locally, but if your DNS cache is not up to date it may have to query your primary DNS server (i.e. your modem).

I've never seen this behavior on my computer, but feel free to allow WFN to connect if you need to :-)

Thanks you for your feedback, and once again, I apologize for the delay...

Regards,
Khan
May 19, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Wokhan wrote:
Windows Firewall Notifier is meant to show users what is actually going on with their connections. I did not like the idea to automatically allow WFN itself to access the Internet without the users consent for this exact same reason.
Regarding the target address and port, I guess it happens when WFN tries to deal with DNS resolution (i.e. resolving an IP to a machine name, or the other way around). It should do that locally, but if your DNS cache is not up to date it may have to query your primary DNS server (i.e. your modem).
I think you made the right decision, it would be more than suspicious if WFN would hide it's own network accesses.

regards, Stefan