Windows Firewall Notifier (WFN) extends the default Windows embedded firewall behavior, allowing to visualize and handle incoming or outgoing connections.
I finally decided to give the code to the community (as many people asked me too, and since I do not have that much free time to keep working on it).
Enjoy ;-)Please note that WFN started as a personal project, not meant to be fully distributed, but ended up with more than 65 000 copies being downloaded all around the world along 2012 / 2013 (I guess I should have sold that one :-P). Therefore the code is not commented as it should be (as of v1.8.0) and some parts of the application should probably be improved / rewritten from scratch.Requirements
WFN requires Windows Vista or later (Windows 7, Windows 8).
Please do not ask for a Windows XP version, since WFN relies on features introduced with Vista, it would require too much work. Well, now that it is open source, maybe someone will port it but keep in mind there are great alternative out there.Behavior
This application only uses existing Windows features, enabling some of them when first launched:
- Enables the Windows embedded firewall
- Sets the firewall to block both inbound and outbound connections for which no rule exists
- Enables the default Windows firewall inbound connection notification
- Enables the Windows firewall outbound connections logging (disabled by default)
- Creates a scheduled task linked to the Windows firewall event log entries, allowing Windows Firewall Notifier to be launched when needed only